Accounting Advocates Program
The Accounting Advocates Program is a student-recruiting and peer-advising group within the Adkerson School of Accountancy. The Advocates serve as the School's ambassadors to the public with respect to student recruiting.
Serving as an Advocate for the Adkerson School of Accountancy has many benefits. Students will develop written and oral communication skills and will demonstrate an ability to work well within a team. Advocates will be involved with functions hosted by the Adkerson School of Accountancy and will have a chance to interact with faculty members on a personal basis. Advocates will also have the opportunity to meet and work with alumni and employers who visit campus.
Qualified applicants must be full-time undergraduate or graduate students with a major in the Adkerson School of Accountancy with an overall GPA of at least 3.0. Applicants must have completed ACC 2013 (Financial) and ACC 2023 (Managerial). Qualified applicants must possess a positive attitude with a commitment to learning more about the Adkerson School of Accountancy and the accounting profession.
Completed applications will be reviewed with emphasis placed on a desire to convey pride in accounting and MSU, effective oral and written communication skills, interest and involvement in campus activities, and a willingness to commit time and energy to the program. The top candidates may be invited for individual interviews.
Training will be provided, with a major training session taking place soon after selection. Other meetings may be held throughout each semester to prepare for special events. It is expected that students will adjust their schedules when possible to avoid conflicts.
Length of Service
Advocates will serve for one year, as long as they are enrolled as full-time students in the School of Accountancy and maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- Assist with advising of current students and orientation of new students throughout the year.
- Host accounting professionals, teachers, and counselors during any Adkerson School of Accountancy functions.
- Serve as a liaison to high school and community college counselors and students.
- Participate in alumni meetings, receptions, Advisory Council activities, and other events deemed appropriate by the Director of the Adkerson School of Accountancy.
- Participate in MSU and School of Accountancy recruiting events on campus.
- Represent the Adkerson School of Accountancy at off-campus recruiting events.
Applications for Adkerson Accounting Advocates are now available online and at the Adkerson School of Accountancy. Interested juniors, seniors, and graduate students are encouraged to apply. Applications are due Friday, October 16. For more information, contact Krystle Dixon.