State Your Business Career
“The College of Business staff and professors challenged me. They were there as mentors whenever I had questions.”
- Business Major: Economics / International Business / German
- Graduation Date: May 2015
- Hometown: Port Orchard, WA
- Current Position: Assistant National Bank Examiner, Office of the Controller of the Currency (OCC), U.S. Department of the Treasury
- On the Job: The OCC ensures the soundness and safety of national banks. One of my main roles in that is to evaluate risk management policies within a bank. With a team, we put together a financial analysis of a bank and communicate with the bank’s management.
Why did you choose to attend Mississippi State University?
I met a representative at an SEC college fair and he told me about the International Business Program. I had never been to Mississippi before. I visited and fell in love with the school. The program was everything that I wanted.
How did you select business as your major?
I studied abroad in Germany during my senior year in high school. The experience changed what I had originally wanted to study, which was criminal justice. While I figured out what I wanted to do, I went to community college and worked for a credit union. This sparked my love for business. The International Business program allowed me to combine my two interests of business and language.
How did the College of Business prepare you for your career?
The staff and professors challenged me. They were there as mentors whenever I had questions. Everyone was welcoming, I never hesitated going to a professor’s office. My time at Mississippi State University was some of the best years of my life. The people I met and the lessons I learned made me who I am today.