Faculty & Staff
- Stephen L. France, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor of Quantitative Analysis
- Ph.D., Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Quantitative Marketing and Supply Chain Management
- MS, University of the West of England, Statistics and Management Science
- BS, University of Durham, Computer Science
As a researcher and quantitative analyst, I aim to establish myself as a methodologist who works at the boundaries of marketing, psychometrics, applied statistics, and data mining. I integrate knowledge from all of these areas in order to make sense of complex marketing data and to find solutions to real world problems found in industry.
- "The Impact of Retail Format Fiversification on Retailers’ Financial Performance ", with Yuying Shi, Jeremy M. Lim, and Barton A. Weitz, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 2018, vol. 46, no. 1, p 147-167.
- "ADCLUS and INDCLUS: Analysis, Experimentation, and Meta-Heuristic Algorithm Extensions", with Wen Chen and Yumin Deng, Advances in Data Analysis and Classification, 2017, vol. 11, no. 2, p 371-393.
- "Characterizing Viral Videos: Methodology and Applications", with Mahyar Sharif-Vaghefi and Huimin Zhao, Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 2016, vol. 19, no. September-October, p 19-32.
- "An Analysis and Visualization Methodology for Identifying and Testing Market Structure", with Sanjoy Ghose, Marketing Science, 2016, vol. 35, no. 1, p 182-197.
- "A Maximum Likelihood Item Easiness Model for Test Theory Without An Answer Key", with Wiliam H. Batchelder, Educational and Psychological Measurement, 2015, vol. 75, no. 1, p 57-77.
- "Unsupervised consensus analysis for on-line review and questionnaire data", with William H. Batchelder, Information Sciences, Elsevier, 2014, vol. 283, no. 1, p 241-257.
- "Teaching Dimensionality Reduction and Cluster Analysis to Marketing Students Marketing Edge Conference Proceedings", Marketing Edge, 2014, vol. 2014, p 1-25.
- "Consensus Rating: Re-Conceptualizing Additive Bias KDD - Data Mining for Educational Assessment and Feedback (ASSESS 2014) Proceedings", KDD - ACM, 2014, vol. 2014, p 1-8.
- "Properties of a General Measure of Configuration Agreement", Springer Verlag, 2013, p 155-163.
- "Visualizing Data in Social and Behavioral Sciences: An Application of PARAMAP on Judicial Statistics", with Ulas Akkucuk and J. Douglas Carroll, Springer Verlag, 2013, p 147-154.
- "FlexCCT: Software for Continuous CCT", with Mahyar Sharif Vaghefi and William H. Batchelder, International Educational Data Mining Society, 2013, p 394-395.
- "A New Application for Worst Case Resistance Testing", with Frank Adams and Myles Landers, INFORMS Annual Meeting, Houston, TX, 2017.
- "FlexCCT: A Methodological Framework and Software for Ratings Analysis and Wisdom of the Crowd Applications ", with Mahyar Sharif Vaghefi and William H. Batchelder, INFORMS Annual Meeting, Houston,TX, 2017.
- "ARIMA Modeling of Online Video Trends", with Mahyar Sharif Vaghefi, MarketingEdge Research Summit, New Orleans, LA, 2017.
- "FlexCCT: Theory and Software for Flexible Ratings Analysis", Classification Society Conference, Santa Clara, CA, 2017.
- "Not All Comments Are Created Equal: The Impact of Business Managers' Response to Negative Online Reviews", with Yuying Shi and Nancy Guo, MarketingEdge Research Summit, Los Angeles, CA, 2016.
- "Society for Mathematical Psychology", with Sanjoy Ghose, Annual Meeting - Society for Mathematical Psychology, New Brunswick, NJ, 2016.
- "Clustering Choice Data using Deviations from the Aggregate Constant Ratio Model.", with Sanjoy Ghose, IMPS (International Meeting of the Psychometric Society), Asheville,NC, 2016.
- "Clustering Choice Data using Deviations from the Aggregate Constant Ratio Model.", with Sanjoy Ghose, Classification Society Annual Meeting, Columbia, MO, 2016.
- "Continuous CCT: The FlexCCT Software and Associated Models", with William H. Batchelder, Cultural Consensus Theory, Multinomial Processing Tress, and Cognitive Psychometrics, Irvine, CA, 2015.
- "Visualizing Cultural Consensus Theory (CCT) Solutions", Classification Society Annual Meeting, Hamilton, ON, 2015.
- "Cultural Consensus Theory for On-line Reviews: Knowledge and Preference", with William H. Batchelder, Marketing Edge Research Summit, San Diego, CA, USA, 2014.
- "Teaching Dimensionality Reduction and Cluster Analysis to Marketing Students", Marketing Edge Research Summit, San Diego, CA, USA, 2014.
- "Consensus Rating: Re-Conceptualizing Additive Bias", KDD 2014, ASSESS Workshop, New York City, NY, USA, 2014.
- "A Maximum Likelihood Item Easiness Model for Test Theory Without An Answer Key", with William H. Batchelder, IMPS - Annual Meeting of the Psychometric Society, Madison, WI, USA, 2014.
- "FlexCCT: Software for Continuous CCT", with Mahyar Sharif Vaghefi, The 6th International Conference on Educational Data Mining, Memphis, TN, 2013.
- "Unsupervised Consensus Analysis for On-line Review and Questionnaire Data", with William H. Batchelder, Classification Society Annual Meeting, Milwaukee, WI, 2013.