Faculty & Staff
- Kathleen Thomas, Ph.D.
- Associate Professor of Economics
- Office: 662.325.2561
- Department: 662.325.2341
- Curriculum Vitae
- Ph.D., Georgia State University, Economics
- MA, The University of Alabama, Economics
- BS, Birmingham-Southern College, Economics
Dr. Thomas is an affiliated researcher with the Texas Schools Project at The University of Texas at Dallas and specializes in education policy. Her current research is funded by a generous grant from the Spencer Foundation.
- "Monetary incentives versus class credit: Evidence from a large classroom trust experiment", with R. Andrew Luccasen, Economics Letters, 2014, vol. 123, p 232-235.
- "Access to High School Arts Education: Why Student Participation Matters as Much as Course Availability", with Priyanka Singh, Kristin Klopfenstein, and Thomas C. Henry, Education Policy Analysis Archives, 2013, vol. 21, no. 83.
- "Teaching Macroeconomic Principles Using Animated Cartoons", with R. A. Luccasen and Michael Hammock, The American Economist, 2011, vol. 56, no. 1, p 38-47.
- "Testing the Economic Literacy of K-12 Teachers: A Statewide Baseline Analysis", with Paul W. Grimes and Meghan J. Millea, American Secondary Education, 2010, vol. 38, no. 3, p 4-20.
- "Advanced Placement Participation: Evaluating the Policies of States and Colleges AP: A Critical Examination of the Role of the Advanced Placement Program in Education", with Kristin Klopfenstein, Harvard Education Press, 2010.
- "Simpsonomics: Teaching Economics Using Episodes from the Television Show The Simpsons.", with R. Andrew Luccasen, Journal of Economic Education, 2010, vol. 41, no. 2, p 136-149.
- "The Impact of Education Histories on the Decision to Become Self-Employed: A Study of Young, Aspiring Minority Business Owners", Small Business Economics, 2009, vol. 33, no. 4, p 455-466.
- "The Link Between Advanced Placement Experience and Early College Success", with Kristin Klopfenstein, Southern Economic Journal, 2009, vol. 75, no. 3, p 873-891.
- "Using Active Learning Lessons Developed for High Schools Students in the College Classroom", 13th Annual Economics Teaching Workshop, Wilmington, NC, 2013.
- "Arts Education and the High School Dropout Problem", Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta Research Seminar Series, Atlanta, 2013.
- "Access to High School Arts Education", Southern Economic Association, Atlanta, GA, 2010.