Faculty & Staff
- Alvaro G. Taboada, Ph.D., CFA
- Interim BancorpSouth Assistant Professor of Finance
- Assistant Professor of Finance
- Ph.D., Ohio State University, Finance
- MBA, University of Notre Dame, Finance
- BBA, Florida International University, Finance/International Business
Alvaro Taboada is an Assistant Professor of Finance at Mississippi State University. Prior to joining Mississippi State University, he was an assistant professor at the University of Tennessee. Dr. Taboada worked for six years as an international bank examiner for the Miami Branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta. His research interests span many areas within corporate finance, including banking, banking regulation, corporate governance, and international financial markets. Dr. Taboada’s research has been published in leading academic journals including the Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Accounting Research, and Journal of Banking and Finance. His research has been presented at major academic conferences including the European Finance Association and the Financial Management Association. He has taught courses on financial markets and institutions and commercial and investment banking at the undergraduate, MBA, and PhD. levels. Professor Taboada received his Bachelor of Business Administration in finance and international business from Florida International University. He holds an MBA from the University of Notre Dame and a Ph.D. in finance from the Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University. He is also a CFA charter holder since 2002.
- "Governance Reforms and Firm Value: Worldwide Evidence ", with Larry Fauver, Mingyi Hung, and Xi Li, Journal of Financial Economics, 2017, vol. 125, no. 1, p 120-142.
- "The impact of regulation on information quality and performance around seasoned equity offerings: International evidence ", with Larry Fauver and Gilberto Loureiro, Journal of Corporate Finance, 2017, vol. 44, p 73-98.
- "Regulatory Arbitrage and Cross-Border Bank Acquisitions", with Andrew Karolyi, Journal of Finance, 2015, vol. 70, no. 6, p 2395-2450.
- "Do Improvements in the Information Environment Enhance Insiders' Ability to Learn from Outsiders?", with Gilberto Loureiro, Journal of Accounting Research, 2015, vol. 53, no. 4, p 863-905.
- "Cross-Border Bank Flows and Systemic Risk", with Andrew G Karolyi and John Sedunov, Financial Management Association Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, 2016.
- "Does It Pay to Treat Employees Well? International Evidence on the Value of an Employee-Friendly Culture", with Larry Fauver and Michael McDonald, Financial Management Association Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, 2016.
- "Cross-Border Bank Flows and Systemic Risk", with Andrew Karolyi and John Sedunov, 16th FDIC-JFSR Fall Banking Research Conference, Arlington, VA, 2016.
- "Cross-Border Bank Flows and Systemic Risk", with Andrew G Karolyi and John Sedunov, European Finance Association Annual Conference, Oslo, Norway, 2016.
- "Cross-Border Bank Flows and Systemic Risk", with Andrew Karolyi and John Sedunov, Financial Intermediation Research Society (FIRS) Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, 2016.
- "Cross-Border Bank Flows and Systemic Risk", with Andrew Karolyi and John Sedunov, Fixed Income and Financial Institutions (FIFI) Conference, Columbia, SC, 2016.