On Campus MBA
An MBA from Mississippi State allows you to carve your own path to leadership. Here’s why MSU:
- Cohort program, opportunities for peer networking
- 1 year accelerated program, 30 credit hours
- Internationally renowned faculty
- Experiential programs
- Consulting experience with established and start-up firms
- Preferred application deadline: November 15
- Standard application deadline: January 15
- Late application deadline: March 1
- Completed online application form, ($60 application fee)
- Statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from all schools previously attended
- Undergraduate GPA preferred: 3.0
- International applicants not holding degrees from U.S. institutions are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. The College of Business requires a minimum TOEFL score of 575 PBT, 233 CBT, or 84 iBT or an IELTS score of 7.0
- Competitive GMAT or GRE scores taken with the last five years and submitted directly to MSU
- Current resume
- 30-40 minute interview including a 5 minute presentation on a topic of applicant's choice
- Teaching and Service Assistantships available on a competitive basis
- Tuition assistance
- 20 hours per week, flexible around your class schedule
- Bi-monthly stipend
- Non-resident fees waived
Program of Study
Program of Study
- MBAMath (for those who have not taken MBA Prerequisites)
- Springboard Week (MBA Professional Development Program)
Summer (June & July)
- Summer 1: Law, Ethics and Dispute Resolution
- Summer 2: Leadership Skills
- Business Elective
**Should a student not receive recommended scores during MBAMath, a prerequisite course can be taken during the Summer term
- Financial Accounting Report Analysis
- Strategic Marketing Management
- Economics for Managers
- Management Information Technology
- Corporate Finance
- Quantitative Analysis and Business Research
- Strategic Business Consulting
- Elective if necessary
For International Students, more information can be found here.
- Professional development seminar each Friday during the Fall and Spring semesters
- Different company/industry each week
- Learn about job opportunities available to MBAs
- Learn about real world issues that will be faced upon graduation
- Opportunity for interactive learning
- Attached to a course each fall and spring, enhancing overall class experience
SEC MBA Case Competition
- Held in the spring, rotating SEC campuses
- Opportunity to represent Mississippi State
- Cash prizes at the local and regional level
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply to the MBA program?
Complete the application to the Graduate School and pay the $60 application fee. Make sure to also complete all of the items listed on the application before submitting it. There is no additional paperwork or application required for the MBA program. If you are selected to continue in the application process, our office will contact you to set up an interview, which will include a short presentation on a topic of your choice.
What entrance exams are required for admission?
We accept either the GMAT or the GRE, but the GMAT is strongly preferred. The test must have been taken in the last five years, and official scores must be sent directly to the university. International applicants not holding a degree from a U.S. institution are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.
What are the minimum GMAT and GPA requirements?
We do not have minimum requirements for admission. Our current MBA class has an average of 590 on the GMAT, an average of 305 on the GRE, and an average GPA of 3.58 for undergraduate coursework.
Can I waive the GMAT/GRE with work experience or another master’s degree?
No. These test scores are a mandatory component of the university’s application process and cannot be waived for any reason.
What are the application deadlines?
The priority deadline is November 15 for entry into our class. Our regular admission deadline is January 15, and the late application deadline is March 1.
What are the requirements for international students?
International students will complete the same application and pay the same application fee as domestic students. Any international student not holding a degree from a U.S. institution are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. Transcripts from international institutions will need to be submitted in both English and the native language, if applicable.
How do I confirm that you have received my application materials?
Your application will first be processed by the Graduate School before being sent to the Graduate Studies in Business office. You will receive an automatic email update regarding the status of your application.
Are application elements (GMAT, GPA, references, work experience, etc.) weighted? Will I get in with a low GPA and high GMAT score?
We look at the overall student during our application review. No one component is more important than the others. If there are any gaps or discrepancies in your application, we encourage you to address those during the interview process, which will also assess points based on work experience.
How long will it take to complete the on-campus MBA program?
Our program is full-time for 3 semesters (12 months).
Is orientation mandatory? Is there a fee for orientation?
Yes and yes. Orientation (Springboard Week) is a 6-day intensive professional development series that will take place shortly before the start of the first semester. There is a required fee used to fund your orientation experience. The amount of the fee will be specified upon admission into the program. Springboard Week must be completed before you can enroll in your first semester of classes.
When does the MBA program start?
Our 1-year program is designed as a cohort system, meaning that you will take all of your courses together as a group with your fellow MBA students. As of the class entering in 2016 and later, the program only begins in Summer Semester, so the entire cohort will begin classes in May/June and graduate the following May.
Can I get a minor or concentration?
It’s possible to direct your MBA towards a specific area of study. If you are interested in pursuing a particular minor, mention it to the MBA Director at the time of the application interview.
Is there a dress code for the MBA program?
We require students to have at least one formal business suit with appropriate footwear for presentations and interviews. Business casual attire is required for classes. For men, this includes collared shirts and nice slacks/jeans. For women, this means nice pants/jeans, skirts of appropriate length, and nice blouses/tops. Shorts, flip-flops, hats, athletic wear, t-shirts, and torn jeans will not be allowed.
Does the MBA program accept transfer credits from another college or university?
If you have graduate or MBA program credits from another institution, you can transfer up to 6 credit hours towards your MSU MBA.
Are there any computer or technology requirements?
All MBA students should have a laptop or computer with Microsoft Office, wireless internet capability, and appropriate anti-virus software. Though a personal printer is not required, it is highly recommended. There are several computer labs around campus that have additional software that you may need for class projects. For more information, please visit the ITS website.
Are there any prerequisite courses?
Yes. The following prerequisites are an admission requirement with a grade of B or better: Principles of Management & Production, Financial Accounting, Business Statistics I & II, and Financial Management. If you have not met the requirements for the Accounting, Statistics, or Finance courses, you can complete them through the MBAMath program.
How much is tuition? Is financial aid available?
Do you offer non-degree or conditional admission where I could take MBA courses prior to being admitted?
No. Because of our cohort system, all MBA courses must be taken in predetermined semesters. However, electives and prerequisite courses can be taken before admission to the MBA program.
What is an assistantship?
An assistantship is an opportunity to work part-time for the university in addition to your coursework. You will be required to work 20 hours per week. Benefits of assistantship positions include tuition waivers, a twice-monthly paycheck, and work experience. If you are interested in an assistantship based on financial need, please indicate your interest in your statement of purpose during the application process and it will be taken into consideration.
How do I get an assistantship?
Your application will be reviewed for an assistantship position at the time of admissions decisions. You will be informed whether you meet the criteria for a position during the summer before the start of the program. There is no additional application for an assistantship position unless you are interested in a position outside the College of Business.
If I enroll in the on-campus program and then later get a job, can I switch to the online MBA program?
Yes, as long as you complete the appropriate paperwork and provide advance notice to the program officials. This kind of transfer is done on a case-by-case basis.
Who should I contact with additional questions?
Any further questions can be directed to the Graduate Studies in Business office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (662) 325-1891.